Many people live a chaotic and cluttered life. That only invites disaster, that brings emotions, that brings anger, that brings wars: death and destruction.
The simple life
Zen promotes a simple lifestyle with single purpose, mindfulness. The Zen lifestyle is to promote the Zen meditation, and reduce distractions and hindrances to the Path of Zen.
Means and ways
List of how to live a simple life
- Work only enough to pay your bills, if you have to
- Reduce distractions; reduce or eliminate TV, radio, cell phone, computers
- Eat simply. Vegetarian is not mandatory, just eat healthy and cheaply
- Wear simple clothing. Thrift shop clothing will do just fine.
- Avoid needless spending
- Devote your free time to meditation, reading, ceremony if you want. Make it a routine you do every day
Hindrances and obstacles
The goal is to live a lifestyle that allows you to focus on the Path of Zen.
- Making an ego out of The Path of Zen
- Turning yourself in to a clown – Zen LARPing
- Alienating those around you – they see you as weird, troubling or even dangerous.
- Blaming others, anger at society or the politics.
Not all places are conducive or hospitable to the Zen Path lifestyle
- Cities with high rent, taxes, or other conditions may prevent you from a simple lifestyle
- Areas where the indigenous culture is openly hostile to outsiders
Hobbies and crafts
You may want to pick up a craft or trade work.
- Teaching. writing/video ( like me )
- Providing a study space for others (Zen Center)
- Research and other religious works